Thursday, August 31, 2017

Atul's Quest (Chapter 12)

Atul's Quest 
Nader Habibi
 

Chapter Twelve

Revelations


I went to my office very early the next day. Not only did I have to prepare for a 10 a.m. class, but I also wanted to talk to Mary before her morning shift was over. By the time I got to the third floor, it was 7:55, and Mary was vacuuming one of the graduate student offices. Two other office doors were wide open. The sound of the vacuum cleaner was so loud that she did not notice me as I opened the door to my office. I kept the door open and waited for her to finish vacuuming. After two minutes she turned off the vacuum.
As I walked out of my office, Mary also stepped out into the small hallway. After a brief greeting, I asked her if she had let anyone into my room while working on our floor last week.
“Of course not. Why are you asking, Professor? Is something missing?” asked Mary.
“I can’t find a couple of books, but I might have taken them home earlier and forgotten about it,” I re- sponded.
“I never let anyone into a teacher’s office - espe- cially not the students. You know that!”


I thanked her and returned to my office. I tried to think of how else someone could have stolen my notes, but my thoughts were not fruitful. After my morning class, I returned to my office and waited for Atul to either call or show up in person, but he never did. I didn’t have any idea why he was avoiding me. Instead of calling him again, I decided to send him an email. Without mentioning his letter, I asked him to contact me immediately regarding his Independent Study. The next morning, I received an email from Atul:

Unfortunately, I have fallen behind in  some of my classes and have realized that I will not have enough time to complete my IS. I apologize for this sudden decision, but I have to drop this course in order to keep up with my required courses. Otherwise, I won’t be able to graduate this semester. Sincerely, Atul.”

I didn’t buy Atul’s explanation. He was so enthu- siastic about whitening that he would have sacrificed his other classes before abandoning this one. Something must have happened - something that had to do with his investigations about those girls. Had someone threatened him to abandon this project? But why was he avoiding me? He could have at least called me if he did not want to be seen near my office. I didn’t think it was helpful to try to call him again. I decided to send him the following email instead:
“I’m very sorry that you have to drop your IS after working so hard for it. Could you please return the two books that you borrowed last month, at your conve- nience?”
I was hoping that since we both knew that he had not borrowed any books from me, he would     interpret


this email as a signal that I understood he might have been coerced to keep away from me but still wanted to talk to him. He did not respond to this message. As much as I was worried about how this whole ordeal might affect me personally and professionally, I decided there was no point in trying to get in touch with Atul any more. My only option was to wait for the person who took my notes to make a move either by contacting me or reporting what I had done to the de- partment. So far he had done neither, which was very puzzling to me.
Since there wasn’t much that I could do, I tried to stop thinking about this issue. Achieving this goal proved easier than I had thought. By the last week of November, I still had not received even one positive re- sponse to my job applications. Instead, I got one or two polite rejection letters every day. With every rejection, I felt more anxious about my future. I was equally con- cerned about the department’s decision on my tenure. I expected a formal response before the end of the year.
As the days went by and the second week of December came to an end, I knew that there was no hope for any positive response to my job applications. The department search committees responsible for re- cruiting new faculty members usually complete their initial search before December 15. Then the initial in- terviews take place during the American Economic Association’s annual conference in the first week of January.
The finals week of the Fall term passed quickly. I submerged myself in grading more than 60 term papers and essay exams. I was so busy that I rarely thought about Atul or my stolen notes. I once thought of writing down everything that I remembered about the Beauty and Development project, but unfortunately     I


did not have the energy or the motivation for it. The only disturbing thoughts that attacked my mind during those days were the occasional anxieties about my tenure. Aside from my students, the only other person that I had any contact with was Elizabeth. She wanted to finish her tasks by Thursday of the finals week and go home for the holidays.
On Friday, December 18, which was the last day of the finals week, I stayed in my office until 7 p.m. grading exam papers. I would have stayed longer except that I was very hungry and decided to walk to Whitney Avenue to get a sandwich before walking home. The weather was unusually mild for mid- December. As I stepped out of the department, I noticed a familiar figure crossing the street toward  me. I immediately recognized him. It was Atul.  As  usual, he was carrying his large backpack and leaning to one side under its weight. I stood in front of the department and stared at him as he approached me. “Hi, Dr. H. I know it might be a bad time, but can I speak to you for a moment?” asked Atul softly. I just looked at him without saying anything. Realizing that I was not going to break the silence, he continued. “I’m very sorry for what happened. I’m leaving tomorrow for Princeton, and I wanted to see you to explain a few things and also to apologize. The doors were locked, and I have been standing here for 45 minutes waiting for you to get out of the building,’’  said Atul.
“Why didn’t you come to see me earlier? You could have at least returned my calls,” I said.
“That is why I’m here to apologize.”
“Apologize for what? For nosing into those girls’ private lives against my advice? For ignoring my messages? Or for wasting my time for four months and


then dropping your IS with that stupid excuse?” I asked.
“You have every right to be angry, but please give me a chance to explain? Please, Dr. H, I already feel bad for the way I behaved. Don’t make it any worse for me.”
I kept quiet for a few seconds while trying to avoid eye contact with him. “Very well! I just hope you have a good explanation. I’m going to Whitney Avenue to get a sandwich. Would you like to walk with me?”
“Do you mind if we talk in your office instead? I don’t want to be seen talking to you.”
“You don’t want to be seen with me?!! Why?” I asked.
“What I mean is that I don’t want certain people to see us together.”
I noticed that he was a little nervous. Even though I was very hungry, I took Atul back to my office after getting a chocolate bar from a vending machine.
I sat behind my desk and waited for Atul to start his story.
“First, I want to apologize for not getting in touch with you for the past few weeks. And you are right: I did not drop my IS because of the pressure of my other classes. Nor was it because I lost interest in whitening,’’  said Atul.
“Did someone threaten you to give it up? That guy that you mentioned in your letter - what was his name? That tall Indian guy?”
“Ramish Patel.”
“Yes. Did he give you any trouble?”
“I wasn’t threatened to do anything. It’s more com- plicated than that.” Atul stopped and stared at me with hesitation. I waited for him to continue.


“Dr. H., I’m not supposed to share any of this with you, but realizing how supportive you have been over the past few months and the risk that you took by se- cretly supervising my study of whitening, I just felt that I owed you an explanation. The fact is that Ramish Patel and several other Indians belong to a secret whitening society. They were the ones who stole my notes. Initially, they felt threatened by my curiosity about the Golden Girls. But after reading my notes, they realized that I was interested in whitening and had a positive attitude toward it. So they contacted me and invited me to join them.”
I looked at Atul with disbelief. “You are joking right? “ I asked.
“No. I’m telling you the truth. Besides, they are really impressed with my work on the history of whitening in Brazil and Japan.
“Are you telling me that your suspicions about the Golden Girls turned out to be true?” I asked.
“Yes. The light complexion of Sweta and other Golden Girls is not accidental. They are all products of whitening marriages. Ramish Patel and several other fathers of these girls belong to this secret whitening society. Isn’t it amazing? I have finally found a  group of people who share my views about the importance of whitening.”
I didn’t know whether to believe Atul or not. Maybe all of these were products of his imagination. Sometimes, when a person is obsessed with an idea, his imagination takes over. However, the disappearance of my notes was real. “This is unbelievable!! So did they just contact you and try to recruit you?” I asked.
“The day that I slipped that long letter under your door, I got a phone call from Ramish Patel. I thought he wanted to  threaten me  again and  repeat the  same


questions about why I was interested in the family background of the Golden Girls. Instead, he apologized for his earlier encounter with me and said that he wanted to talk to me in person about something very important. At first, I was reluctant, but after he said that he had my notes and he wanted to talk about “whitening,” I agreed. Ramish came to campus and took me to lunch the next day. I was both very excited and worried about what he had to say. I felt angry about the fact that he had stolen all my notes, but then it was no worse than my disguised conversation with his ex- wife Maria Fuentes and my aborted plan to contact the mothers of other Golden girls. As he put it later, we were even: I had invaded his daughter’s privacy, and he had invaded mine. I asked him why he was  interested in whitening. Instead of responding to my question, he started asking me about my interest in whitening and promised to answer all of my questions after I had an- swered his. He asked me about when I first became interested in whitening and why I thought it was a good thing for non-whites. This was the first time in my life that someone was listening to my ideas about whitening without criticizing or laughing at me. He also asked me a lot of questions about the reports that I had written for my IS. He was particularly intrigued by the passionate essay that I wrote early on.’’
“You mean the one with the title, ‘An Appeal to the non-European People of the World?’” I asked, and we both laughed.
“Yes. I know that you thought it was too emotional and premature, but Ramish found it admirable. He thought it was an inspiring piece. Anyway, after asking me all kinds of questions for about half an hour, he asked me if I had any questions. I had only one question for him: Why did he want to see me and   why


was he suddenly so kind to me? He said that it was because he was as interested in whitening as me and he shared my opinions about it. He also had become in- terested in whitening as an undergraduate student and, over time, had met several other Indians who believed in whitening. It was then that he told me about the ex- istence of a secret society within the Indian community in the United States. He then told me that he had come to see if I was interested in joining them. Apparently, Ramish had talked to other members about me after reading my whitening notes. He told me that he was extending me this invitation on behalf of all the members. They had all found my ideas interesting and, as I mentioned earlier, they were delighted about my findings on the quest for whitening in Japan and Brazil.”
“So what was your response? Did you accept?” I asked, still not sure about how much of his story was true.
“Not immediately. I told him that, first, I wanted to know more about the objectives and activities of this society. Ramish said that he could not go into any more details unless I showed an initial interest and promised to keep the Society and its activities a secret. He  tried to persuade me by promising that membership in this society would help me realize my intellectual dreams about whitening. I did not hesitate anymore and ac- cepted his invitation, even though I still had many questions. Ramish told me one of the reasons that I was selected for membership was that I refused to reveal my real motives for collecting information about the Golden Girls when he and his son threatened me. This behavior to them was an indication that I was capable of keeping secrets, even when under pressure. Ramish was very sensitive about keeping the    organization


secret and emphasized the importance of secrecy several times. He was the one who told me to stop all contacts with you and drop my independent study course immediately. He asked me if I had talked to you about my investigation about the Golden Girls and my conversation with Sweta’s mother, Maria. Since he did not know anything about the letter that I had slipped under your door, I told him that you had no knowledge of any of these developments. Now do you see why I did not want to be seen with you tonight? I was worried that some of the Indian students and faculty at Yale might belong to the Whitening Society. Since I had promised Ramish never to contact you again, I would have been in trouble if any of them had seen us to- gether.
“But you did not have to drop your IS course. After spending so much time on it, you could have, at least, finished it without telling me anything about this so- called secret society. Or you could have at least contacted me in a discreet manner,” I complained.
Dr. H., you are right. Initially, I did not think of these options, but at the end of my conversation with Ramish they came to my mind as well. When I shared these options with Ramish, he did not like them and re- jected them flatly. He made me promise again to avoid all contact with you. I had no choice, but to accept this demand. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have trusted me. I have felt guilty ever since, and that is why I’m here. I felt that I owed you an explanation and an apology before I leave. I graduated this term and today was my last day at Yale.“
Based on what Atul had just told me, I had a strong feeling that Ramish was the one who stole my notes. However, I wasn’t sure if I should say anything about this to Atul. He seemed to have a positive opinion of


Ramish and his society. For now, I thought it was time to show some understanding. “In that case, I’m glad you stopped by. To be honest, I have been very angry with you for what you did. But after hearing your story, I’m not angry anymore. It’s just hard to believe that such a society exists. Are you sure you know the real motive of these people? You must make sure they are not manipulating you,’’ I warned.
“Dr. H., these past four weeks have been the best weeks of my life. I don’t think they have any ulterior motive, and I don’t feel in any danger at all. If anything, I feel I have finally found a group that stands for everything that I believe in. They have all suffered the same pain and humiliation that I have gone through as a dark-skinned Indian. They all share my belief that whitening is the key to a better future for all of us,’’ re- sponded Atul.
“I can see that you are very passionate about this group, which I suppose must have a name. But I urge you to be very cautious. Before you get more deeply involved, make sure you know exactly what they are doing and what they expect from you,” I said. Then, I suddenly realized that I had forgotten all about my own missing notes.
“Thanks for your concern. So far, I have only met Ramish and two other members who are also university professors. Oh, by the way, our group does have a formal name. It is called the Aishwarya Society. Aishwarya is the goddess of fair skin in Indian mythology, which, I’m sure you agree, is an appro- priate name for such a society. However, we usually refer to it as the Whitening Society. Anyway, based on my conversations with Ramish and the other members whom I have met so far, the only objective of the society is  to  improve the  racial beauty of  the  Indian


community in the U.S. They believe, and I fully agree with them, that future generations of Indians will  have a much better future in America if their skin com- plexion is lighter than ours, ‘’ said Atul.
“Then, if this is their only objective, why all the secrecy? Why were they so afraid of you finding out their secret that they broke into your room and took all your notes? If they think their idea is so noble, then why not bring it into the open and discuss it with the entire Indian community?” I asked. This question did not take Atul by surprise.
“Have you forgotten that you yourself thought whitening was such an embarrassing concept that you asked me for a cover-up topic for my IS? The Whitening Society is worried that, if it is exposed, the members and particularly their biracial children will be harassed and humiliated. They think that both whites and ethnic minorities would react negatively to the idea of whitening. Most blacks will surely condemn it as a sign of self-hatred and submission to white racism. The majority of whites would condemn it, because they think race mixing is a threat to the white race.
But that is not all. The Society is even more afraid of a possible backlash among Indians. India is still a caste-based society and, even among the Indians who live in Europe or North America, caste loyalties are very strong. There is a lot of social stigma attached to marrying outside one’s caste group. Parents in par- ticular insist on their children marrying within the caste. This is particularly true of the upper and middle castes to which most of us who live in the States belong. Since whitening, by nature, requires an Indian to marry outside of his caste, the Society fears that it will generate a strong backlash among the older gen- eration, whose  caste  sensitivity is  much stronger.


Ramish told me that when he informed his relatives of his plans for marrying Maria, his parents were so upset that his father did not even attend the wedding,” said Atul.
“But weren’t they happy that their bride had such a fair complexion? After all, you yourself mentioned that Indians are very color conscious,” I commented.
“I don’t know. I never asked him this question, but I suppose that is why they eventually accepted her. However, perhaps their hostility toward Maria played a role in her eventual divorce. In any case, my point is that, for large numbers of Indians, concern over caste purity might be more important than their desire for fair complexion. We have to keep the Society a secret for now to avoid a negative backlash from these types of caste-worshiping Indians,’’  replied Atul.
I noticed that this was the first time that I was hearing such generalizations from Atul. These must have been the result of his recent association with Ramish.
“Don’t forget another important group, Atul: the Indian women who will not be able to find suitable husbands because your secret society will encourage Indian men to marry Hispanic or white girls,” I said  in a joking manner. We both laughed.
“You’re right,” responded Atul. “They will be angry, and who knows how they might react to an organi- zation that reduces the supply of eligible bachelors. So, you see why we have to operate in secrecy. However, our goals are broader than simple matchmaking. Obviously, the society will try to find white husbands for Indian women, although so far it has not done so, because we do not have any female members. But Ramish told me that he and others have talked a few times about helping Indian women have   biracial


children through artificial insemination. This idea, however, has not gone beyond informal discussions yet.
“You mean your society will encourage Indian women to become pregnant from white men?” I asked.
“Well! Not exactly, but something close to that. What Ramish has in mind is more like helping Indian women obtain sperm donated by white men.’’
I just looked at him in silence and shook my head as we both smiled. I wondered if he took this idea se- riously.
He finally broke the silence. “As I wrote in the APPEAL article, whitening will ultimately involve a one-shot humiliation. I know this idea might sound hu- miliating, but the pay off is well worth it,” said Atul with a serious look. He did take this idea seriously!
“I think you better keep the Society a secret and just stick to finding wives for your members. If you make such recommendations for Indian women, people think you’re nuts,” I said with mild laughter, as Atul also laughed in conformity.
The temporary effect of the chocolate bar was fading away, and I was feeling hungry again. I wanted to end the conversation, but not before asking him about my missing notes.
“Atul, I see that you are already involved with these people and trust them, but there is something that you should know. The same day that you slipped that long letter under my door, I discovered that all of my notes on your independent study were missing. I always kept them in a magazine file on that top shelf behind you. The file and everything in it are gone.”
“You mean someone broke into your office and took them while you were in hospital?” asked Atul.


“Yes. Just that single magazine file and nothing else.”
Atul stared at me for a few seconds: “Who do you think did it? Are you suggesting that Ramish could be involved?” asked Atul.
“After what you told me tonight, I can’t think of anyone else.
“But do you have any evidence that points to him?” “Evidence, no.  But  motive, yes. I  always  thought
whoever took your notes must have taken mine as well. I think Ramish took my notes after he stole yours.
“But why?” asked Atul.
“Isn’t it obvious? You told me he is very concerned about keeping the Whitening Society a secret. After reading your notes, he must have realized that I was your supervisor, and he assumed that you must have submitted several reports on whitening to me. Perhaps he thought some of your reports were too sensitive and could offer clues to the Whitening Society. So he decided to steal any reports and notes that you had given me.
“But since I didn’t know anything about the Society back then, the reports that I gave you have nothing in them that might expose it,” said Atul.
“Wait a minute, there is something,” continued Atul. “I had some handwritten notes about the Golden Girls in the margins of one of the reports that Ramish took from my room. Maybe he thought that I had discussed the Golden Girls with you and you might have taken some notes about them too.”
“Good thinking. Did Ramish ask you any questions about me? “ I asked.
“Well! He wanted to know what I had told you about my inquiries about the Golden Girls. I told him that you were totally unaware of that inquiry. I also told


him that I kept those inquiries secret from you because you had strongly opposed the idea of spying on those girls. He also asked me if you were doing any separate research on whitening aside from my independent study.’’
“And what did you tell him?” I interrupted him suddenly.
“Naturally, I told him that you were not. I even told him that you were initially very reluctant and agreed to supervise my project only out of goodwill.’’
“Did he say why he asked this question?” I asked. “No. Even when I asked him why he was so curious
about you, he did not give me a straight answer. He just told me several times to avoid all contact with you.” Atul was silent for a few seconds and then continued: ”You know, I think you’re right. He could be the one who took your notes. Did you tell the department that someone had broken into your office?”
“Of course not. I didn’t want the department to find out about your project? My biggest worry is that whoever took them might send them to the department. It would be very embarrassing for me if the department finds out. It would be a disaster if they find out that I secretly helped you study a bizarre concept like whitening. No offense. It could cost me my job.”
“I’m so sorry, Dr. H. I had no idea that you might get dragged into this. What would you like me to do? Do you want me to try to get your notes back from Ramish?“ asked Atul.
“No! No! If you show any curiosity about my notes, Ramish will sense that you have talked to me. If Ramish is the one who took my notes, then he is un- likely to send them to the department. If he exposes me, he will risk exposing you and indirectly    exposing


the Society. Did he give you back your notes?” I asked.
“No. Ramish told me it wasn’t safe to keep any written materials on whitening with me. He even told me to give him a copy of all the computer files that I had on whitening and erase them from my laptop. He said the Society had a secret collection of documents, and my notes will be added to this collection. But then all the reports that I gave you over the past five months are the same ones that Ramish took from my room. So, he probably took yours just to get rid of them,’’ replied Atul.”
I did not tell Atul anything about my own notes on beauty and development. On one hand, I was relieved that Ramish had taken my notes. At least I knew that he would never expose them. On the other hand, I had lost all my notes on beauty and development, and there was no way that I could get them back.
“So I will never get my notes back either,” I said. “I’m afraid so. But, to be honest, I don’t think that is
such a big loss to you, Dr. H. I always got the im- pression that you didn’t care much for whitening. I’m not trying to justify what Ramish did, but it’s not as bad as if he had taken your own original research notes. Nevertheless, if you want a copy of the papers that I submitted throughout this semester, I will try to make copies for you as soon as Ramish lets me access the Society’s documents.’’
I told him I would appreciate it if he could do that. I wished I could have told him what a big loss it was. I actually gave more thought to the Beauty and Development project after the disappearance of my notes. I came to the conclusion that it had more po- tential than I had initially believed. Alas, it was  hard for me to continue this project without my notes.   That


was the end of my last and - as usual - long conver- sation with Atul. I wished him well, and he promised to keep in touch in a discreet way. As I walked home that night, I remembered my very first conversation with him about eight months ago. My first impression of him: a short and thin Indian student with a large black backpack and a strange idea.


The October 7 Hamas Attack and Israel's Response in Gaza

 Hamas made a strategic mistake and committed a war crime by killing civilians during its October 7 attack on Israel. The large number of Is...

Most Viewed Posts